Saturday, October 10, 2009

Garbage Trucks and Drill Rigs and Ambulances... Oh My!


So I’m writing this blog in honor of the two-week anniversary of our adventure to Orlando Touch a Truck. (Hey, if I had written this the evening of the event, you might falsely conclude that I have too much free time on my hands. Anyway, I’m cool with being two weeks behind.)

Have you heard of this event? I’m telling you – not to be too stereotypical or anything – but this was like little boy heaven. Having said that, I was a wee bit of a tomboy and would have LOVED this event as a girl, and there were plenty of young girls there, too.

But when my mom’s group friend emailed us on Friday night about this event Saturday morning, it took about .45 seconds to make up my mind that we were going. Four little boys and 30+ vehicles to explore? Could any event be more exciting?

What an absolutely brilliant concept. (Not to mention genius fundraiser for the host preschool.) They bring in all sorts of trucks, construction equipment, community service vehicles, and public safety cars. Kids are allowed to sit in them, honk horns, turn wheels, touch levers, and even talk to the drivers and operators who were in uniform. Army jeeps and diggers and streetsweepers, oh my! Fire trucks and police cars and cement mixers, oh my!


Had it not been for the scorching sun and record-setting hot temperatures that day, I truly think we could have spent 8 hours there exploring and investigating. As it was, the boys enjoyed crawling into over a dozen trucks, meeting a police man, and learning about robot thingies with cameras on the end that creep into underground pipes and take pictures.

I cannot WAIT to go to the event again next year. The only thing that could make it better is if it’s at least 10 degrees cooler!

No comments:

Post a Comment